We would like to inform members of our community about an apprenticeship opportunity with Electrical Training Institute of Southern California (ETI) for the Sound & Communication Wireman Program. The Costanoan Carmel Rumsen Tribe is beginning to build a relationship with ETI, on top of which the application/initiation fees are waived for members of our tribe. This 3-year program is an “earn while you learn” opportunity – the on-the-job portion of the training is a full-time, well-paid job. It is a great way to earn a decent and consistent salary (if you are 18 years or older), to build up a savings, and even start chipping away at students loans. Complete information is available at the Electrical Training Institute website: www.laett.com.
What is Apprenticeship? It is a well-organized and supervised training method ETI uses to enable people with little or no prior knowledge of the electrical craft or trade to become qualified journeymen/journeywomen. The 3-years program includes on-the-job training and classroom related instruction leading to the Installer classification.
The application process consists of two steps: 1) submit an application along with the required documents, and 2) an in-person interview. Applicants must appear in person with all of the required documents between the hours of 8:30AM – 10:00AM only at the:
Electrical Training Institute
6023 S. Garfield Avenue
City of Commerce, CA 90040
Applications will be accepted on the following 2012 dates:
- Wednesday, April 25th
- Wednesday, June 27th
- Wednesday, August 22nd
- Wednesday, October 24th
CLICK HERE FOR FURTHER INFORMATION ABOUT THE APPRENTICE PROGRAM, REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS, AND BENEFITS:
In order to be eligible for an interview you must submit an application with the following required documents:
- Birth Certificate or Driver’s License – showing that you are at least 18 years of age.
- A High School Diploma, G.E.D., or H.S.P.E.
- Official unopened transcripts showing that you have passed one year (two semesters) of High School Algebra or one semester of College Algebra, with a passing grade of “C” or better.
- Must bring original Social Security Card.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or meet INS requirements.
Job Description: The sound and Communication Installer Program requires moderate physical effort on the part of the apprentice. Most all of the workday is spent working on one’s feet, climbing and working from ladders, crouching, bending, pulling, and pushing. The apprentice must possess the ability to follow specific directions especially safety instructions. Most of the work is indoors, but some will be outdoors exposed to environmental elements.
What is ETI looking for in an applicant? Seeking men and women of all races who demonstrate the best character, aptitude, motivation, and traits conductive to success in the electrical trade. A good candidate is one with a record of having done well in school, especially in math and in science, one who has demonstrated reliability, possesses a sincere desire to succeed, and one who has a positive attitude and a desire to work hard.
What is expected of an individual if selected:
- Willingness to learn and complete cooperation
- Regular ETI school attendance and interest in continuing yoru education
- Dependability on the job
- A day’s work for a day’s pay
Benefits if you are accepted:
- An opportunity to learn a most respected trade while earning a good wage
- An opportunity to become a member of the most respected and progressive union in the building and construction trades, The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
- The opportunity to “earn” Installer status and certification, which is recognized throughout the United States
- The opportunity to continue your education after you become an Installer to achieve Technician status
- The opportunity to earn a good wage during your working life, and receive valuable benefits throughout your retirement